Monday, June 29, 2009

My Last Post from Haiti

Dear Blog Readers,

This is my last official post from Haiti. I'll be writing one more entry next Sunday from the States. Can you believe that? Lord willing, I'll be home for the Bluffton fireworks on Saturday night, and I'm scheduled to help with lunch on Sunday. By Sunday evening, my blog and my Haitian adventure will be over.

This week, I tried to take pictures of my everyday life. I went to work everyday, shopped for butter and paint trays, conversed with my community, went to church, ate at a restaurant, babysat, swam, did housework, and generally lived as you all live...just in Haiti. Going to work involves riding my 4-wheeler instead of driving a car. Shopping in Les Cayes means dealing with beggars and bargaining with the vendors. Conversing with my community means Germans, Canadians, Haitians, and Americans. Going to church means packing a flashlight and toilet paper...just in case. Eating in a restaurant involves picking between the two that are safe and finding something on the menu that they actually have in stock. Babysitting includes looking for tarantulas and eating mangos for a snack. Swimming, thankfully, is just swimming - except you generally have an audience, and housework is universal - except I have to heat my water on the stove, line dry every piece of laundry, and sweep chewed up pieces of almond off my porch left by the rats. So much the same, yet so different.

But, one thing is for certain: God is the same here, there, and everywhere. Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever. The Spirit is ever present and ever moving. Praise God for His faithfulness!

http://picasaweb.google.com/aheartforhaiti/June20094?feat=directlink

Blessings,
Abby

2 comments:

Becca said...

Amen, sister. God remains the same and always is faithful. :)
Everyday adventures are still adventures.
Love ya!!

Leah said...

As always I enjoyed your post and I will miss having my own "personal" window into life in Haiti. However, I am SO EXCITED that you are coming home. Take care and have a safe trip!